F SEIKOUJI@is a temple of the Chizan School of the Shingon sect of Buddhisum
199, Tsuruoka-shi, Yamagata-ken, 997-0842 JAPAN
@@@Tel/Fax : 0235-22-7084
@@@By taxi from JR Tsuruoka station --------------10 min.
By bus, take bus going towards Yutagawa-onsen,
@@@@@get off at Niiyama-guchi
stop and walk -------- 5 min.
@@@From Shonai airport by taxi -------------------20
@@@By car from the Tsuruoka interchange ---------- 5 min.
Worldly Benefits from various deities such as
@@ Shouten ΉV
(deity with the head of an elepha:nt body of a human; helps one find a romantic
@@@Mantra: On gyaku gyaku kiriku un hatta
Kannon ¨ΟΉ (deity of longevity and physical health)
@@@ Mantra: On san zan
zan saku sowaka
@@ Koyasu Jizou qΐn (deity for the protection
and education of children)
@@@ Mantra: On ka ka ka bi san maei sowaka
Pilgrimage Circuits related with this temple
@@ You can get red seals for
these three types of pilgrimages:
@@ Shonai Sanjuusan Kannon ―ΰO\OΟΉ(Pilgrimage
of the thirty-three Kannon of the Shonai plain; seal-spot No. 27)
poem: The clear water of the Inooka well comes to the temple where I do not
get tired again.
@@ Shonai Hyaku Kannon ―ΰSΟΉ (Pilgrimage of the
one-hundred Kannon of the Shonai plain ; seal-spot No. 16)
@@ Related poem:
Mossy garden, azaleas among rocks, and gushing water. This is Inooka temple
the Buddha's village.
@@ Dewa Juusan Butsu oH\O§ (Pilgrimage
of the thirteen Buddhas of the Dewa region.
@@ The main deity is Seishi Kannon,
protector of those who were born in the year of the Horse)
@@ Related poem:
In the present world I pray to the buddhas for their protection and I feel
secure.They are close and numinous.
@@ The Story of
Inooka Temple at Inaokasan ξͺR
@According to legend, this
temple was founded in 825 by Prince Motosada ξε, the third son of Emperor Junna
~a, who performed ascetic practices on Mount K?ya and was given the Buddhist name
of Genraku. As a monk he travelled widely on pilgrimage until he finally discovered
the numinous site of Inooka δͺ. The site was enveloped by purple clouds, and he
decided to build a temple (called Ogadera κ) there to pray for the emperor.
The written records about this temple are extremely scarce, but the Engishiki
(927) mentions it (referring to it as Oga shrine), as do the Sandai jitsuroku
(901) and other documents of the Daigoji ην Temple in Kyoto. Inooka Temple was
probably a sub-temple of Daigoji, and thus it belonged to the Shingon ^Ύ school
of Japanese Buddhism. The temple's statue of J?ichimen Kannon dates back to the
mid-Heian period (roughly the late tenth century), and it is therefore thought
that this temple was built before that time.
@The few sources about
this temple that we do have suggest that in the Kenkyouera (1190-1199) the Inooka
Temple held propitiatory rituals on the behalf of the powerful warrior Minamoto
no Yoritomo Ή© (1144-1199), and that Lord Muttou Kyouuji ‘~ (fifteenth century)
sought the aid of this temple in securing divine protection for himself. The oldest
extant written documents preserved in this temple are two hanging buddhas plaques
(kakebotoke) that were donated by Tonobe Shirouzaemon Shigeyoshi nμΣlYΆqεdg (a
vassal of Lord Mutou) in Chouroku 4 (1460) to the chief monk Nyokai @C. In the
process of rebuilding the Buddha-hall in 1779 the central pillar of the pagoda
was excavated from the ground and it was found to shows signs of being from before
the medieval period.
@Among the temple treasures there is a statue
of Fudou Myououwith an emblem of the Fujiwara ‘΄ family, a Kamakura period (1185-1333)
statue of Jizou Bosatsu with golden pigments, and a well-preserved statue of Seishi
Bosatsu descending from the Pure Land. Seishi Bosatsu flanks the central statue
of the Buddha Amida that was damaged during repairs in the Edo period and which
is now venerated as the Medicine Buddha Yakushi Nyorai ςt@. The other Muromachi
period art works -for example, the iron statue of Kannon Bosatsu, Nyoirin Kannon
@ΣΦΟΉ, and a painting of Aizen Myouou€υΎ€-are still preserved in this temple.
After the temple was destroyed by a fire during the Sengoku period (1467-1573),
Lord Mogami Yoshiaki paid to have the entire complex rebuilt, and in 1612 he donated
non-taxable lands with an income of 172 koku of rice per year. The mother of Yoshiaki
donated three statues (Amida Nyorai, Jyuuichimen Kannon, and Shou Kannon ΉΟΉ)
in an attempt to pacify the spirit of her daughter, who had suffered a violent
death. These three statues are still displayed in the temple.
the Edo period the value of donations made to this temple was second only to the
temples at Mount Haguro H and Mount Choukai ΉC. That being said, the donations
during this period were still far lesser in value than those made during the time
of Lord MutouKiyouji. The foundations for this temple were laid thanks to the
painstaking efforts of the chief monk Gyuuei Shounin yhγl. It is said that Gyuuei
transformed the land around the temple into an ornamental garden and personally
oversaw the transportation of a weeping cherry tree (see the picture on the right)
from Kyoto during the Keichou era (1596-1615). Support for Inooka Temple did not
change with the passing of political power from the Mogami clan to the Sakai πδ
clan. Because of its proximity the Sakai's residence, the members of the Sakai
clan often came here on pilgrimage and to enjoy the site's natural landscape.
The dais (joudan γi) and the upper-dais (joujoudan γXi), which were used as seats
for important members of the Sakai family when they were visiting, are still preserved
in the reception-hall of this temple (kuri shoin Ι @), which was built in 1794.
The other buildings in the temple complex were built toward the end of the Edo
period, and among them are the Buddha-hall, the Kannon-hall (also called Origin
Buddha-hall), the fire-ritual hall (gomadou μ°), the reception-hall, the hall
for ancestor veneration, the bell tower, the Benten-hall, the Niougate, and the
middle-gate. Inooka Temple had various subordinate temples, including Shaka-in,
Fugen-bou, Enkou-bou, Itoku-in, Daigaku-bou, and Jourin-bou. There was also many
Shintou buildings inside the precinct of this temple: the deities gate (also called
Niougate), the worship-hall, the main-hall, the hall for sacred dances, and the
seclusion-hall for priests (naoraiden Όοa). The subordinate shrines affiliated
with Inooka Temple were Hie-jinja, Tenman-guu, Sumiyoshi-jinja, Hachiman-jinja,
Kasuga-jinja, Inari-jinja, Koutai-jinja, Housou-jinja, and many shrines built
on the hill behind the temple.
@In 1867 the Meiji government issued
a law requiring the separation of Shintou and Buddhist deities, and in 1879 the
temple was destroyed by fire. The only structures that survived were the fire-ritual
hall, the reception-hall, the deities gate, the seclusion-hall, and the stone
archway (torii Ή). Fortunately almost all the Buddhist statues and ritual implements
were stored in the fire-ritual hall, and they thus escaped destruction. Toward
the end of the Meiji period AndouShuukei ΐ‘όc repaired the roofs of the treasure-hall
and the main-hall. During the Taishou(1912-1925) and Shouwa (1926-1989) periods
the founder-hall was rebuilt and the reception-hall's roof was renewed. The temple
remained without a chief monk until 1954, when Oosawa Eizen εςhU, the thirty-second
chief monk of the Inooka Temple, arrived and restored the roof of the reception-hall,
made a new connecting corridor, repaired the Niougate, and the statues enshrined
within this portal. In addition to the Buddhist statuary, the lavishly decorated
sliding doors, and the votive wooden tablets painted with pictures of horses (ema
Gn), the Inooka Temple's cemetery hosts tombs of famous politicians, illustrious
educators, and important literati from the Edo period to the present.
in the ornamental garden it is possible to admire cherry trees, dogtooth violets,
camellias, plums, peaches, crab apples, azaleas, rhododendrons, irises, and, in
the autumn, the changing maple leaves. It can thus be enjoyed in all four seasons.
@@ History of the Inooka Temple
@825 Genraku Shounin
Ήyγl founds this temple for the purpose of praying for the emperor.
appears in the Engi shiki, in which it is referred to as Oga shrine (Oga jinja
1065 Temple burns down. Statue of the eleven-headed Kannon (Juuichimen
1190 The Lord Mutou‘ of Dewa oH makes a donation of land to
1250 Statue of Seishi Kannon.
1300 The statues of FudouMyouou
and Aizen Myyouou date back to this period.
1331 Temple burns down again.
The Mutou clan rebuilds this temple for the protection of their family members.
Donation of two hanging-buddha plaques (kakebotoke |§).
1558 Temple burns down
again. Statue of Amida Nyorai.
1589 Gyuuei yh becomes the chief monk of the
1600 Creation of the ornamental garden with its weeping cherry tree.
Lord Mogami Yoshiaki Εγ`υ donates non-taxable lands to the temple.
temple becomes a branch-temple of Chishaku-in in Ky?to.
1796 Living quarters
and reception-hall for monks (kuri Ι ) is built.
1811 Fire-ritual hall (gomadouμ°)
1855 The great gate (daimon εε) is built.
1862 The two gate keepers
(Niou m€) statues are created.
1867 Law for the separation between Shinto deities
and Buddhist deities.
1879 Ancient main-hall and other halls burn down.
Reconstruction of the treasure-hall of the temple.
1935 Reconstruction of the
1992 Reconstruction of the main gate.